Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
This is an old tower house which has been altered and remodelled. In the 1770s and 1780s it was the home of Greene Despard Esq. In 1837 Lewis refers to W. Despard as the proprietor of Killaghy ‘which was the residence of Baron Tobin, and was taken by Cromwell, who gave it to a Col. Green, from whom it has descended to its present proprietor’. Griffith's Valuation also records William Despard as the occupier. He held the house valued at £23 from Sir Riggs Falkiner. Bence Jones writes that Killaghy passed from the Despards to the Wrights by inheritance. Hubert H Fox of Killaghy Castle owned 321 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. In 1894 Slater refers to it as the seat of Miss M.A. Walpole. Killaghy has had a number of owners in the 20th century and continues to function as a country residence. For sale in 2010 see http://www.michaelhdaniels.com.
S330 406 Discovery map #67. OS Sheet #63.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links