Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Occupied by George Fosberry in 1814 and by J. Dickson in 1837. This one storey house was described as a ''comfortable slated cottage built in 1812 by the present occupier Col. John Dickson'' [brother of the Reverend Richard]. This house, valued at £22 at the time of Griffith's Valuation, was occupied by Samuel D. Power who held it from John Pigott. Clonshire is now the location of a large equestrian centre. Owned by the Greenall family, Lord Daresbury, in the 20th century. [The Greenalls also bought Mount Coote].
|Clonshirebeg||Clonshire||Rathkeale||Croagh 134||Connello Lower||Limerick||
R435 452 Discovery map #65. OS Sheet #21.
The county Limerick seat of the Coote family in the 18th and 19th centuries. Wilson refers to it as "the pleasant seat of Mr. Coote" in 1786. It was occupied by Chidley Coote in 1814. Lewis refers to it as the former seat of Chidley Coote in 1837. Charles Coote was resident at the time of Griffith's Valuation and held the property in fee. The buildings were valued at £53. Their value had increased to £65 by 1906. The Irish Tourist Association surveyor wrote in 1943 that the house was bought by Sir Gilbert Greenall, who became 1st Lord Daresbury, who spent about £200,000 setting up a Model Farm. [Lord Daresbury also owned Clonshire]. Following his death three years previously it was sold and then run as a stud farm. Bence Jones writes that this house was demolished circa 1960 and a new house built in the Georgian style.
R628 275 Discovery map #73. OS Sheet #48.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links