Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Lewis writes that Castle Fogarty was "the ancient seat of the O'Fogarty family from whom it descended to the present proprietor J. Lanigan". He describes it as a "square castellated mansion, with embattled towers at the angles". The seat of the Lenigan family in the 18th and 19th centuries [held from the Earls of Portarlington until the fee was purchased in the mid 19th century]. Noted by Slater as the seat of Captain Vivian Ryan-Lanigan in 1894. Though the castle is a ruin since it was burnt in 1922 there is a residential wing on the site. in 2018 it was offered for sale.
|Castlefogarty||Ballycahill||Thurles||Ballycahill 127||Kilnamanagh Upper||Tipperary||
S055 594 Discovery map #66. OS Sheet #40.
An 18th century building which was the seat of the Ryan family. The Irish Tourist Association Survey records that the Ryans, a Catholic family, came from Munroe to Inch and that their lands were held for them by Aneas Burke of Kilkenny during Penal Times. Wilson, writing in 1786, refers to Inch as the seat of Mr. Ryan. The house was occupied by Daniel Ryan in 1814. Daniel died in 1831 and was succeeded by his brother, George Ryan,who was resident in 1837. The house was valued at £53 at the time of Griffith's Valuation and was held in fee by George Ryan. It was recorded by Slater as the seat of George E. Ryan in 1894. The Ryans continued to live at Inch House until 1985 when it was sold to John and Nora Egan. The building now functions as a county house and restaurant run by the Egan family, see http://www.inchhouse.ie/about-us/a-brief-history-of-inch-house/
S053 632 Discovery map #59. OS Sheet #34.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links