Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Castle Ishen was the seat of the Fitzgerald family from the mid 17th century until the late 19th century. In the late 18th century the castle was replaced by the house which stands today. In the 19th century the house was occupied by the estate agents, members of the Hannigan and O'Leary families although Lady Fitzgerald, widow of the 8th Baronet, is recorded as the occupier at the time of Griffith's Valuation. She held the house valued at £10+ in fee. Her sons were both minors at the time. Hajba writes that the O'Learys purchased the house in the early 20th century. In 1944 the Irish Tourist Association Survey noted that they had first come there in the 1790s. Castle Ishen is still extant.
|Castlelishen||Kilbolane||Kanturk||Milford 174||Orrery and Kilmore||Cork||
R401 194 Discovery map #73. OS Sheet #6.
A Trant home in the 18th century, occupied by Mrs Pepper in 1837 and by James Barry in the early 1850s. He held the house valued at £8+ from Lady A.H. Fitzgerald. Buildings are still located at this site.
W744 814 Discovery map #80. OS Sheet #64.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links