Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
The original Fitzgerald castle was granted to the Courtenay family in 1591. The Castle was occupied by David Mahony and his son, Pierce Mahony, in the mid 18th century. Bence Jones writes that the residence of the Earls of Devon in county Limerick was a house of nine bays in the castle precincts. It was held by them in fee and valued at £55 at the time of Griffith's Valuation. This house was occupied by the agent to the Devon estate. Slater describes it as Courtenay Castle in 1894 when it was occupied by Charles Curling. In 1910 it was bought by the Curling family who had been agents and was burnt in 1922. The Castle remained in the possession of the Curlings until the 1940s.
|Castle Demesne||Newcastle||Newcastle||Newcastle 117||Glenquin||Limerick||
R278 337 Discovery map #64. OS Sheet #36.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links