Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Wood House (Woodville)
Thomas McGrath was leasing a house and mill from William Christmas at the time of Griffith's Valuation when the two properties had a valuation of £23. This house is labelled Woodvilla on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map but Wood House on the later 25-inch edition. A house is still extant at the site. The mill buildings are described as "in ruins" on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map.
S519096 Discovery map #75. OS Sheet #16.
In 1850 William Christmas held Whitfield in fee when it was valued at £49. The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage indicates the house was built by him between 1820-1849, replacing an earlier house. Local sources indicate that this earlier house was in the townland of Whitfield and the name was transferred to the existing house when it was built in the adjacent townland of Dooneen. Leet records the earlier property as the seat of Thomas Christmas in 1814. Smith, writing in 1774, mentions the house as "an elegent seat belonging to Thomas Christmas, formerly a Dobbyn castle". In 1786 Wilson refers to Whitfield as the seat of William Christmas. The nineteenth century house is still extant but no longer occupied.
S532086 Discovery map #75. OS Sheet #17.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links