Francis Alexander Fitzgerald was the second son of Maurice Fitzgerald, a medical doctor, who worked in India for a time. Francis A. Fitzgerald became a Baron of the Court of Exchequer and lived in Dublin. In the 1850s Francis Fitzgerald held land in the parish of Killaloe, barony of Tulla Lower, county Clare. His younger brother was Bishop of Killaloe from 1862-1883. In the 1870s Francis A. Fitzgerald owned 781 acres in county Clare.