The Cahills were resident at Ballymurphy, parish of Templemaley, county Clare from at least 1814 until the 1870s. In the mid 1870s Thomas Cahill of Ballymurphy owned 591 acres in county Clare. Members of the Cahill family of Lahinch, some of whom were resident in East India, owned 645 acres in the county at this time. In November 1887 John Cahill offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court, over 200 acres in the barony of Inchiquin. James Shannon, the occupier, was declared the purchaser.