Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
The Purdon family, originally from Cumberland, held this property on the shore of Lough Derg from the mid 17th century. In the ownership of Simon George Purdon at the time of Griffith's Valuation when the buildings were valued at £30. The Irish Tourist Association Survey File of the 1940s states that the house was built "about 70 years ago", contains about 60 rooms and the original residence of the Purdons stands adjacent to the new house. The estate was sold to the Gleeson family who owned the Athlone Woollen Mills in 1901 and the house later became the property of Dr Carmody who opened a health centre. The property was offered for sale in 2012.
|Rahena Beg||Ogonnelloe||Scarriff||Ogonnelloe 122||Tulla Lower||Clare||
R694 791 Discovery map #58. OS Sheet #37.
Hugh Ingoldsby Massy is recorded as "of Newgarden" in 1769 and Simon Purdon was resident in the late 1770s and 1786. The widow of Hugh Ingoldsby Massy married Simon Purdon of Tinerana. The Powells of Clonshavoy were located at Newgarden in the early 18th century. A house occupied by William Ryves in 1814 and by Massy Ryves in 1837. By the time of Griffith's Valuation it appears to have fallen into decay. John Dooley occupied a house valued at £1 and Eyre Lloyd held offices valued at £4 from the Earl of Clare. Caleb Powell states that this house was taken down by Eyre Lloyd.
|Newgarden North||Stradbally||Limerick||Ballyvarra 46||Clanwilliam||Limerick||
R649 610 Discovery map #58. OS Sheet #6.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links