Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Killaha Castle or Killaha House
The original property at Killaha was Killaha Castle, the hereditary seat of the O’Donoghue of the Glens. The family had moved to Killarney by the 19th century. Lewis records that Killaha House was then the seat of J. McCarthy. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation, John McCarthy was leasing the house to Frederick Millbourne, MD, when it was valued at £16 10s. Bary indicates that it was subsequently rented by the Orpen family and later, possibly in the 1890s, given to the Catholic church by R.M. Leeson Marshall who was descended from the O’Donoghues of Killaha. It afterwards served as the presbytery for the local parish.
W047865 Discovery map #78. OS Sheet #66.
John McCartie or McCarthy was leasing this property from Sir Edward Denny at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £16. Lewis records Frogmore Lodge as the seat of Reverend Barry Denny in 1837.The Ordnance Survey Name Books reported that it was built by him in 1828 at a cost of £600 and was lived in, in 1840, by Mrs. Townsend Gunn. It is still extant.
|Knockanush West||Clogherbrien||Tralee||Clogherbrien 171||Trughanacmy||Kerry||
Q789155 Discovery map #71. OS Sheet #28.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links