Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Daniel McCarthy was occupying Srugreana Abbey at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £9. In 1894 Slater notes it as the seat of Samuel T. McCarthy. In the 1940s the Irish Tourist Association Survey described it as "a large modern residence" fornerly that of the late Samuel T. McCarthy, a judge in India and later editor of the Kerry Archaeological Magazine. Bary indicates that this property was held by descendents of the McCarthy Mor family, owners of this area before the seventeenth century confiscations, who continued as tenants of the Lansdowne estate. The property was sold in the 1930s and demolished later in the twentieth century.
V529792 Discovery map #83. OS Sheet #70.
At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Daniel McCarthy was leasing this property to Patrick Kelleher, when it was valued at £2 10a. Lewis records it as the seat of D.McCarthy in 1837 and Leet noted it as the address of Timothy McCarthy in 1814. The Irish Tourist Association survey in 1943 recorded the story that the patriots Michael Doheny and James Stephens were hidden here while "on the run" in 1848, when Kilfadda More was "a thatched cottage occupied by Dick McCarthy". Bary states that it was associated with the McCarthy family for many years. It is still extant and occupied.
W046742 Discovery map #79. OS Sheet #85.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links