Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Lewis writes in the late 1830s that Ballynalacken Castle was about to be repaired by the proprietor J. O'Brien. Weir writes that John O'Brien built a house near the old castle in 1840 and the O'Brien family lived there in the second half of the 19th century, however there is no house in the townland of Ballylacken valued at more than £2 at the time of Griffith's Valuation and no indication that the O'Briens were resident. The house was bought by the O'Callaghan family in 1939 and is run by them as a small hotel. see http://www.ballinalackencastle.com/index.html
M103 003 Discovery map #51. OS Sheet #8.
Originally an O'Hogan home which passed to the O'Briens through the marriage of Eleanor O'Hogan and Turlough O'Brien. Their son married Margaret Long. She married secondly Cornelius O'Brien of Birchfield. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the house valued at £15 was occupied by John O'Brien who held it from Sir Lucius O'Brien. Weir writes that the house was demolished circa 1965. In 1778 and 1786 this house, known as Cross, was occupied by a Lysaght.
R256 917 Discovery map #51. OS Sheet #16.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links