At the time of Griffith's Valuation Charles and James Morton were the lessors of lands in the parish of Kiltoghert, barony of Leitrim. In March 1866 John Duke was offering for sale in the Landed Estates Court his share in townlands in this area which had been in the possession of Charles Morton. The original lease agreement for these lands dated from 1789 between Thomas Tenison and George Johnston. In 1802 McParlan records Johnston Moreton as a resident gentleman of property in county Leitrim. James Morton held over 300 acres in Leitrim in the 1870s.