George Hindes was one of the principal lessors in the barony of Mohill at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In May 1864 John Hinds offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court, his property at Newgrove, county Longford and townlands in the barony of Mohill, county Leitrim. The Irish Times reported that the Longford estate was bought by W.J. Sidney while the Leitrim portion was purchased in trust by Mr. Burgess. In the 1870s Richrd John Hinds of Newgrove owned almost 300 acres in county Leitrim and over 200 in county Longford.