The Kyles were a family from Ayreshire who settled in county Derry in the 17th century. William Cotter Kyle, a barrister and Justice of the Peace for county Roscommon, was the second son of the Reverend Samuel Kyle, Provost of Trinity College Dublin (1820-1831) and Bishop of Cork, Cloyne and Ross. William C. Kyle was one of the principal lessors of property in the parish of Moore, barony of Moycarn, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s he owned over 5000 acres in county Roscommon. He was residing at Clare St., Dublin, at that time. By 1916 his representatives were negotiating with the Congested Districts' Board for the purchase of his estate.