Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Patrick Balfe was leasing the property at Heathfield, valued at £36, to John Butler at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Lewis records Heathfield as the seat of Nicholas Balfe. It was also his seat in 1814. Gormley states that this house was originally known as Belgard Lodge and was part of the estate of Thomas Dillon of Belgard Castle, county Dublin. Richard Irwin of Fernhall acted as his agent in Roscommon. By 1830 the Heathfield estate was owned by Patrick Balfe and by the 1850s it was occupied by the Butler family, originally of Cherryfield, Elphin. They continued to occupy the house until the 1940s. The house is still extant.
M763 787 Discovery map #40. OS Sheet #27.
At the time of the first Ordnance Survey the Trant family were recorded as the proprietors of the townland of Polranny, barony of Castlereagh, including Fern Hall House. Henry Dillon Trant was leasing it to John Irwin at the time of Griffith's Valuation when it was valued at almost £5. Gormley states that this branch of the Irwins was the oldest in the area, having been recorded there in the sixteenth century. The house was not in good repair by the end of the nineteenth century and no trace remains now.
M766795 Discovery map #40. OS Sheet #27.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links