Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Fort William/Fort Lyster
A house on the outskirts of the village of Athleague, it was the home of N. J. French in 1837. It was valued at £20 and was occupied by Henry West who held the property from Anne Lyster in the 1850s. The house, marked as Fort William on the first Ordnance Survey map, later became known as Fort Lyster. Still valued at £20 and occupied by the representatives of William Jameson in 1906. It was the home of Aileen Cust the first woman veterinary surgeon in the British Isles in the early 20th century. Modern farm buildings occupy the site but the entrance gates remain.
|Athleague||Athleague||Roscommon||Athleague West 74||Athlone||Roscommon||
M826 575 Discovery map #40. OS Sheet #41.
The Lyster house at Grange was knocked down in the early 19th century after the sale to Farrell and a new one built.
M903 507 Discovery map #40. OS Sheet #45.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links