Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Frenchfort became a Blake property in 1780 when Michael Blake married Anne Ffrench of Frenchfort. Wilson mentions the house as his seat in 1786. He is described as a resident proprietor in 1824. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the house at Frenchfort in the parish of Oranmore was occupied by his grandson, Theobald Blake. The original house does not appear to be present now but the walled garden layout is still visible.
M396257 Discovery map #46. OS Sheet #95.
In 1786 Wilson refers to "the ancient castle of Clare-Galway, the seat of Michael French". Both the 1st edition and 25-inch edition indicate that the original tower house was in ruins but extensive adjacent buildings are shown on the 25-inch map. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, it was part of Lord Clanmorris's estate and was leased to Patrick Reilly when the buildings were valued at over £5. The castle is still extant and undergoing a programme of renovation.
M372332 Discovery map #46. OS Sheet #70.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links