Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
An old Bourke castle, granted to a Cromwellian soldier named Crofton. It passed into Knox ownership through marriage and was the seat of this influential branch of the Knox family throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. In 1786 Wilson refers to it as "the pleasant seat of Mr. Knox". At the time of Griffith's Valuation it was held in fee by Annesley Knox and valued at £30. Slater notes it as the seat of Captain Annesley Knox in 1894. Occupied by the Knox family until the early 20th century, the house is now a ruin.
G184 221 Discovery map #24. OS Sheet #30.
In 1786 Wilson had noted Palmers Town as the seat of Mr. Palmer. The original Palmer house is marked "in ruins" on the first Ordnance Survey map of the late 1830s. The Irish Tourist Association File states that it was destroyed by fire when the French forces passed by in 1798. In the mid 19th century Henry A Knox, fifth son of Annesley G Knox of Rappa, leased the townland from Sir William Palmer. Knox lived in a house converted from part of the yard buildings of the original house before the mid 1850s. His descendants continue to live there today.
|Rathnawooraun||Templemurry||Killala||Lackan South 101||Tirawley||Mayo||
G171 318 Discovery map #24. OS Sheet #14.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links