Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Lowville was originally the seat of Nathanial Lowe who held this estate in the mid-18th century and Wilson refers to it as his seat in 1786. In 1814 it was the residence of the Hon. Mrs. Low. In 1837 Lewis recorded Lowville as the seat of W. McDonagh. It was still occupied by Walter McDonagh in the 1850s and was valued at £45. By 1906 it was in the possession of Bernard Connaughton and was valued at £33. It was later the home of the Byrne family but was sold in the early 1970s and ceased to be residential. It is now a ruin.
M772373 Discovery map #47. OS Sheet #74.
Walter McDonagh was leasing a property at Sonnagh, parish of Fohanagh, barony of Clonmacnowen, from the Clancarty estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He was also the occupier of a mill at Pollboy, valued at £95, in this parish. His estate was centred on Lowville in the barony of Kilconnell. A house still exists at the Sonnagh site.
M791363 Discovery map #47. OS Sheet #74.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links