Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Derryhivney House/Harding Grove
Wilson may be referring to this property when he mentions the ruins of a castle at "Derryborn" and the seat of Mr. Hind. In 1814 this house was known as Harding Grove and was the seat of Jonathan Harding. It appears under this title on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. The Harding family also had an estate in north Tipperary. In 1846 Slater refers to "Derryhiney" as the seat of Cuthbert Fetherston. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, the house at Derryhivney was occupied by him. On the 25-inch map of the 1890s it is labelled Derryhivney House. David England Young of Ballygibbon, county Tipperary and Harding Grove, county Galway is recorded in Walfords (1910).
M872088 Discovery map #53. OS Sheet #118.
In 1814 this house was occupied by John Mahon and in 1837 by T. Sadlier junior. The Ordnance Survey Name Books indicate that the proprietor was Mrs. Harding of Dublin and describe Bessborough as " a most beautiful house, occupied by Mr. Cushin, solicitor". By the time of Griffith's Valuation Dr John Armstrong was resident. He held the property from Mrs Harding and the buildings were valued at £20+. Jonathan Harding of Bessborough, Nenagh owned 163 acres in the 1870s. Slater refers to this house as the residence of David E. Young in 1894. It is still in use as a residence.
|Bessborough||Ballymackey||Nenagh||Ballygibbon 108||Upper Ormond||Tipperary||
R969 817 Discovery map #59. OS Sheet #21.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links