Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Up to 1898 this house was in the barony of Leitrim, county Galway. It is now in the barony of Tulla Upper, county Clare. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, John A. Burke was occuping the house valued at £11, at Tintrim, parish of Clonrush, barony of Leitrim, county Galway. Weir states that the house at Tintrim was probably built by John Anthony Burke of Clondegoff Castle nearby. He was most likely a member of the Burke family who lived at Meelick House, Whitegate at the same time. Tintrim continued in the possession of the Burke family as John Anthony Burke moved out to allow his son, Edmund, and his family to live there until the house was sold in 1867. The house later passed to the Madden family and is still extant and occupied. The Irish Tourist Association file records state that John A. Burke died in 1857 though the family history suggests he died in 1863. The Tourist Association file also notes that in 1933 there was a search for the heirs of his reputed son, Martin Edward Burke, in Australia.
R767907 Discovery map #53. OS Sheet #135.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links