Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Taaffe was leasing a property at Drimraine, barony of Corran, valued at £6 to John Davis. It was in use as a herd's house accompanying a holding of over 100 acres. McTernan states that Davies subsequently sold the property to the Reynolds family in whose possession it still remains.
G613159 Discovery map #25. OS Sheet #32.
Gleneask Lodge & Cottage
At the time of Griffith's Valuation, John Brett was leasing over 500 acres and a herd's house valued at £4, from John Taaffe, at Tullaghaglas, barony of Leyny. Lewis records Glenesk, in Kilmacteige parish, as a seat of the Taaffe family, in 1837. This is Gleneask Cottage, still extant and occupied. McTernan indicates that this property was built by the Irish Waste Lands Improvement Society, when they leased the Taaffe estate in the 1830s. In 1866, when the property was offered for sale, "Gleneask House" was described as being situated in "most romantic scenery". McTernan writes that this latter property was a hunting lodge built by the Taaffes in the 1850s and demolished in the 1930s
G404170 Discovery map #24. OS Sheet #30.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links