Francis Fetherston was the owner of over 200 acres in county Leitrim in the 1870s with substantial estates in county Longford, centred on Ardagh house. In June 1877 the trustees of the will of Francis Fetherston H. 'deceased' advertised the sale of lands mainly in county Longford but also in the barony and county of Leitrim, in the parish of Cloontuskert, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon, in county Westmeath and in the city of Dublin. The sale of some lots was adjourned due to insufficient bidding while other lots were purchased in trust. In the 1870s Captain Robert Dickinson, late 10th Regiment, of 22 Lower Pembroke Road, Dublin owned 767 acres in county Roscommon. In the 1880s Bateman records Reverend Sir George Ralph Featherstone residing at Chapmanslade, Westbury, as the proprietor of the Fetherson of Ardagh estate, amounting to over 8000 acres.
National Archives of Ireland:
Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Dombrain, Dickinson & Fetherston H., 8 June 1877, Vol 128, MRGS 39/058, (microfilm copy in NUIG)